I got into a conversation recently with a friend about commitment. More specifically, we talked about our respective abilities and inabilities to stay committed to personal projects, hobbies, interests that serve nothing besides our own pleasure and creative growth.
Why is it so difficult to stay committed to these things? When everything inside tells me that staying with these things is a positive thing, what is it that makes me rebel and stay complacent? Is it simply laziness? I suspect it's something more - maybe a fear of how deep I might actually go within myself and my own exploration. But whatever the reason, time and again I find I am unable or unwilling to return to myself.
I've never been one to see things through. I tend to burn strong with any project or hobby, then, like a Supergiant star, the light fizzles out quick. The huge burst of energy at the beginning seems to use up all the momentum and I drop whatever it is fast, unfinished. This blog is a good example of this fast and bright initial burn. I started out strong and excited and inspired by the creative juices flowing while on my many hikes. I wrote two posts, and then.... nothing. I thought about it, about reposting, adding to this, continuing. But I just haven't, despite continuing to notice new ideas and lessons learned on the trails.
I'm in an interesting place now though - I'm still in the reinvention stage of my post-breakup stuff, and the many potential directions to move in still have me excited. So, here I am, oddly enough. Actually returning to something. How interesting.
Let's see if I can commit. Let's call this an experiment. For science. Nothing to lose on either end, but potentially a great amount to gain. This is a hiking blog, looking at lessons I learn and what I discover on the trails. It's a hiking blog, but also a bit more. Let's just see where it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment